Friday 4 May 2018

Cliffs, rocks and craters.

I recently finished my latest terrain project. In the past I had a set of desert cliffs (you can probably see them in previous posts). However my friend recently made some desert terrain of his own, and I figured there's no sense in us both having similar terrain sets. That, coupled with the fact I just felt like having a change, made me set about repainting and flocking my cliffs.
Valley set-up
Plateau set-up

The Mountain (kinda)!
Having pieces like this is great for creating different board layouts to spice things up a bit. Above are 3 different set-ups I thought of, but there's probably many more. And you can make the plateaus as large or small as you like. I'm tempted to make a fourth corner piece so I can place all four in the centre of the board as a standalone plateau. I did face many issues that kept this project in limbo for a long time, but I eventually took it back up and finished it. My only lasting gripe is the gapping between the pieces. It was my fault as I used old materials from a different project many years ago, so a lot of the polystyrene was damaged. I tried to rectify it with filler, but unfortunately it didn't work out as well as I'd hoped. But I just cover the gaps with the scatter pieces and might chuck some lichen or clump foliage around to mask it some more.

I also have a set of the old GW craters, before they discontinued them and replaced them with those awful new ones, which have also since vanished. These old ones were very nice, but have been sitting on my shelf half painted for my desert board for a good couple of years. So I decided to give them a new lease on life and repaint them and flock them up.

The battle mat is from PWork wargaming: http://www.pworkwargames.com/en/
I chose the Valley mat. I've not actually used it yet, but its a very high quality and comes highly recommended by many people. Only issue is its hard to get your terrain to match exactly, but that's fine, and a small price to pay for such a nice base to your board.
For tips on how to paint and flock your terrain, check out Luke's Aps or The Terrain Tutor on Youtube. They have many great videos for how to make high quality terrain for (usually) an affordable price, and they have helped me boatloads.

I have plans to add to this terrain. I'll probably make several trees - its been a long time since I've had trees in my terrain set (aside from those plastic GW ones). As this board was created with my new Eldar army in mind, I will also add one of those new webway gates (possibly 2), and try to make some of my own Eldar terrain at some point, but I won't make promises I can't keep :P.

Cheers, all.

No comments:

Post a Comment