Tuesday 23 May 2017

Reinforcements of Lachesis - Age of Sigmar: Path to Glory

So a couple of months ago, our Age of Sigmar: Path to Glory campaign started. This was my first 'true' foray into Age of Sigmar with a proper army made specifically for the game. Path to Glory is a great way start a new force, and its really fun to see how your army evolves over time. We started out with two games, which was a nice amount to kick things off. I got a good feel of how my army works (just charge forward and hit stuff!). Because these games took place in such a short space of time, we wouldn't have time to paint up any extra units after our first game and before our second, so we instead chose to upgrade one of our units.

In all, my army can be pretty tough. The knights proved hard to shift for the most part, but I generally found my own damage output to be lacking, especially against the undead who can restore lost models to their units each turn! This means I have to hit a single unit hard and fast, wipe it out completely, and then move on to the next. I tried this in the second game, but its easier said than done. However, I did manage to scrape minor victories in both games, but unfortunately I rolled a 1 for my Glory Points for BOTH games, so despite my wins I still have the same amount of points as my opponent. Chaos can indeed be fickle!

Chosen
After our second game, we would have a few months to get some reinforcements in. I took a roll on the same, basic table and got a unit of 5 Chosen. Chosen seemed pretty beastly at first, but soon after I found out they're just Chaos Warriors with an extra attack each (and maybe slightly stronger weapons). A little disappointing, but we'll see how they go.

I opted to take the command unit, as this gives me access to a banner and a wardrum, which are both welcome additions. Honestly, there's no reason not to take them!

Arcane Ettin
Outside of Path to Glory, I wanted to expand the army with something a little different. I've always wanted a Warhammer Giant. The kit looked ace, and oozes with character. But they never really fitted in with my Lizardmen or Dryad armies. But now I decided to take one for the hell of it.

You'll notice I converted it a little. I gave it 3 arms and 2 heads just to make it look a bit more Chaotic. The creature is almost overflowing with arcane energy, which has coalesced in his extremities and around his eyes. I initially painted the dark, mottled and corrupted skin on his face to make his glowing eyes stand out a bit more, but I liked the effect so I added it to his arms and feet, too (and a rogue patch on his back).

His blue skin ties him in with the marauders, but the turquoise loincloth ties him to the knights as well, bringing everything together. This guy won't feature in my Path to Glory campaign (unless I get a lucky roll on the monster table), but I will use him in other games instead, just for a laugh.

1 comment: