Tuesday 19 January 2016

Junktown

Waaagh!

Waaagh! never changes...

Next week, my friend and semi-regular skumgrod will be staying for a few days of 40k goodness. We will be starting a campaign of sorts. We don't get often to battle much anymore, so we agreed to start a story between my Orkses and his Nurgle Daemons. But we needed a reason for these two armies to clash. At first we thought of perhaps a random ork foray into the Warp, or maybe the orks found an ancient Daemon weapon and unleashed seven shades of Warp as they tried to utilise it. But then I looked down at my painting desk and thought of something funnier and more amusing...

For Christmas I was gifted a Big Mek with Shokk Attack Gun, and then it hit me. This gun opens up a rift to the Warp, through which snotlings are sent in order to appear in the enemy ranks to cause havoc. What if this particular mek was just insane enough to want a stronger gun? And so his experiments began, with catastrophic results. Snotlings went into the gun, but something far bigger, far more dangerous, and far more stinky came out!

This is the scene of our campaign - at the beginning anyway. Who knows where things will go as the year progresses and things get even crazier?! But for now, I wanted some suitable terrain. And seeing as this campaign takes place on an ork-held world, I needed some orky terrain. I decided to start with something simple, and built 2 "boyz huts" of different shapes.

This first is a more traditional orky abode, with a flat roof. It is not fully built yet, as I haven't added the battlements yet. Something you will notice is the weird blobby thing on the side. That will be a tent. This came about partly inspired by the orky building in Dawn of War, the "Pile o' gunz", but also from some Lord of the Rings terrain I saw a while back. I wanted to try something similar, so figured I may as well do it on these buildings to make them a little different to typical ork fare.


This second building is similar, but is much taller, and does not have a parapet roof. Instead the roof is a simple slope made out of the corrugated steel, with a few smokestacks on top for added height, and so the roof isn't too flat. This one also has more windows for fire-points to make up for the lack of a stand-on-able roof.


I have plenty of other projects on the go, but this will do for now. In the pipeline I have a 3rd building which will effectively be a tower built on top of a land raider (an immobile land raider), some lengths of wire-mesh fence, orky barricades, a half-painted oil tank, and some other random crap to throw around the board to make the place feel more lived-in. 

There's nothing like the promise of a long and brutal campaign to get the modelling juices flowing...

No comments:

Post a Comment